A wedding licence shows anyone doing your wedding (the wedding officiant) which you have actually met all of the requirements that are legal be hitched in Alberta.
Alberta wedding licences can be obtained from the registry agent workplace.
A registry representative problems a 2-part document. The top component is a Registration of Marriage in addition to underside may be the wedding licence.
The document that is fullenrollment of Marriage/Marriage Licence) needs to be provided to the wedding officiant that’ll be doing your wedding. This might be a document that is legal needs to be held in good shape and never folded since it is completely archived.
Conditions for a married relationship
Banns (postings or notices in a church) are not appropriate rather than a married relationship licence.
There aren’t any residency or citizenship demands.
There isn’t any right time frame that have to pass amongst the date a couple comes in Alberta therefore the date a wedding licence is released.
Bloodstream tests are not essential.
A married relationship licence is legitimate for a couple of months through the date it really is released.
A marriage can take position the day that is same wedding licence is released. There isn’t any time that is waiting.
An Alberta wedding licence is just legitimate for an Alberta wedding. The marriage must take spot in Alberta.
If you’re presently hitched, you can’t submit an application for an Alberta wedding licence.
Whenever obtaining the wedding licence, you have to:
- Apply together during the registry representative workplace
- Some exceptions may use, seek the advice of a registry representative for details
- Swear/affirm more than one affidavits
- It really is an offence to swear/affirm an affidavit that is false
- Offer your information that is personal, and the entire names and delivery places of one’s moms and dads (including a parent’s maiden name)
Whenever getting a married relationship licence, you can’t:
- Be intoxicated by a medication or liquor
- Be related to each other as a grandparent, parent, child, sibling or grandchild, by whole blood, half adoption or blood
- Either individual getting hitched is hearing, message or aesthetically reduced
- Either individual getting hitched can be an assisted adult with a court ordered co-decision manufacturer or represented adult with a guardianship purchase
You both should be 18 yrs old or older.
If you’re more youthful than 18 yrs. Old, you can easily submit an application for a wedding licence if your entire parents and appropriate guardians permission to your wedding licence being granted, unless other conditions use. Seek the advice of a registry representative for complete details.
You cannot marry in Alberta if you are younger than 16 years old.
If an individual for the couple would not have appropriate ID, that person may possibly provide their delivery certification or immigration document – each other must have appropriate ID
You can’t be currently hitched (either to one another or somebody else).
Your marital that is legal status be one of several after:
- Evidence of divorce proceedings is required; the breakup document supplied should be the document that is finalas an example, Certificate of Divorce, Decree Absolute).
- A divorce or separation document that claims a married relationship is dissolved in X timeframe just isn’t appropriate as it is impossible to understand in the event that documents that are final filed or perhaps the divorce or separation ended up being contested throughout that time.
- Divorce or separation documents that aren’t in English must certanly be translated; seek the advice of a registry representative for interpretation needs.
- A death certificate associated with spouse that is deceased maybe not required.
- Never been hitched
- No status that is marital are essential.
Annulled wedding (through the court)
Whenever an annulment is provided through a court, the individual’s marital status reverts back into exactly just what it absolutely was before that annulled wedding took spot. The prior marital status may have to be proven. As an example:
- As soon as the marital status before the annulment is divorced, evidence of divorce or separation should be supplied as well as a content associated with the court ordered annulment
- As soon as the past status that is marital never been hitched, just the court ordered annulment document is required
Whenever a wedding ended up being annulled, a duplicate of this court ordered annulment needs to be provided. Spiritual and annulments that are tribunal maybe perhaps not accepted, just court ordered annulments.
Annulment documents that aren’t in English needs to be translated. Seek the advice of a registry representative for interpretation demands.
Whenever getting a married relationship licence, both regarding the individuals who can be engaged and getting married should be proficient in English (since appropriate documents are now being finalized), otherwise an interpreter is necessary. Whenever an interpreter becomes necessary, it really is your duty to give one.
The interpreter needs to be:
- 18 yrs. Old or older
- Proficient both in English together with language translation that is requiring
As soon as the registry representative worker issuing the wedding licence is proficient when you look at the other language, then that registry representative worker might function as interpreter and issue the wedding licence.
The few trying to get a wedding licence cannot interpret/translate for every single other.
There is certainly a $40 federal government charge for the wedding licence.
Registry agents will charge solution charge. Provider charges differ among registry agents.
How exactly to use
Step one. Make sure you meet the criteria to use for a married relationship licence
The marriage needs to be place that is taking Alberta over the following three months.
Before you apply, make sure you as well as your spouse that is intended are.
Step 2. Gather your articles
Simply take your appropriate ID with you to have the wedding licence.
Other papers may be required, such as for example divorce or separation papers. Contact a registry mail order bride agent, they could verify exactly exactly what papers you shall require.
Step 3. Visit the registry agent office
Head to a registry representative together with your intended spouse, appropriate ID and papers, thereby applying for a wedding licence.
When you use
A wedding licence is given although you wait.
If you fail to have got all the information and papers required, the procedure may be delayed.
Bring your marriage licence towards the ceremony and present it to your wedding officiant.
Review the Registration of Marriage/Marriage Licence document extremely closely for mistakes whenever you receive it and just before leave the registry agent workplace. Will have mistakes corrected instantly.
Prior to the ceremony happens, mistakes may be corrected by way of a registry representative.
Following the ceremony takes place, mistakes should be corrected by the amendment.
The wedding officiant cannot correct any information that has been provided once the wedding licence had been granted.
Connect to Alberta Essential Statistics:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, shut statutory vacations) mobile: 780-427-7013 (Edmonton and area) Toll free: 310-0000 ahead of the telephone number (in Alberta) Fax: 780-422-4225
For the deaf or hard-of-hearing: TTY: 780-427-9999 (Edmonton and area) Toll free TTY: 1-800-232-7215 (in Alberta)
Mail: Essential Statistics P.O. Box 2023 Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4W7
Courier: Essential Statistics Document Reception John E. Brownlee Building 10365 97 Street Edmonton, Alberta T5J 5C5